Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

When life gets busy

This morning while in church at Hamline United Methodist the president of Hamline University talked. The theme of her short speech was to not to keep the hustle and bustle of daily life from allowing you to experience good things. She talked about how we don't take the time to make connections with people that we see every day because we are too busy. And how we let being busy be an excuse for passing up opportunities. She told a story about a village. One of the roads in this village was blocked by a huge boulder and most people when they arrived at this block in the road looked at the rock and grumbled and went around it, however a pauper came across the rock in the road and put down his burden and pushed as hard as he could and moved the boulder off the road and out of the way. Under the boulder was a purse filled with money and a note from the king saying whoever moved the boulder was the owner of the money. When we push obstacles from our lives we don't pass up those opportunities that we might not have seen otherwise.

This really made me think, I've been so busy lately that I keep thinking to myself why on earth did I sign up to go to New Orlean's during spring break. I could really use that time to relax and get caught up. But then I think about what it is I'm thinking and realize how stupid I sound. The world does not revolve around myself and I need to maintain my compassion at all times, even when my own life seems hectic. So, here I am stressing out before my final week before spring break and trying to keep the big picture in mind and making sure I take time to reach out to people and reminding you to do the same!

No comments: