Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Thoughts and reflections

We are about to head out for a few hour drive up and then back along the coast that was damaged. I am looking forward to this tour but I don't want to talk about that at this moment I want to talk about a few things that happened at our group discussion. There are 30 of us down here like I had said before and only 3 of us are not white. One of the african americans started talking about race as it is a huge issue down here and many people here believe the levees broke where they did for a very specific reason and that this natural disaster showed the unnatural disaster that perpetuates american life. The idea about being black and being uncomfortable in every day life was brought up and we were all challenged to think about being uncomfortable in our own lives (black or white).

The disaster here is devestating and it is merely a perpetuation of things that are wrong with our culture and our american way of life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Make sure everyone working knows who is telling you which house you are working on. Who can someone in need contact give someone who stops the contacts UMCORE, Habbitat, the church this is your chance to witness.