Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Post Send-Off Party/Instructions for Letter Writing

I am down to less than six days in Wisconsin and last night my family threw a send-off party for me. It was the absolute best way to go! It was truly a blessing to have the opportunity to talk with all sorts of people who really care about me and have touched my life in various ways throughout my life. There were old friends, new friends, family, extended family, adopted family, previous peace corps volunteers and many words of wisdom and support. I wanted to let everyone know how much I truly appreciate all of your kind words and curiousity. It was very exciting for me to be able to share my passion for this adventure with all of you!

Words are absolutly inadequate to say all that I felt last night. This celebration will stay with me through the next few years, when I'm lonely, sad, or simply feel that my contribution is not enough I will think back to last night and the time I spent with all of you. Because of your presence I know that I am not alone even though I may be isolated. I thank you in advance for your letters, kind thoughts, and prayers. As per my Aunt Sarah's request I've copied the one page "how to keep in contact with me" paper below.

Once again, my words could never convey my appreciation to each and every one of you!

What Can I Do? Aka How Do I Stay In Touch With Kelsey?

A one-page document in ways to keep in touch with KelseyTo mail letters/packages
The following address will be accurate until December 26, 2008. At that point you can find an updated address on my blog (address listed below) or by contacting Mike and Irene Schuder at 262-574-0384 or i_schuder@yahoo.com.

US Peace Corps/Turkmenistan
P.O. Box 258, Krugozor
Central Post Office
Ashgabat, 744000
Kelsey Schuder
TURKMENISTAN

Türkmenistan Aşgabat, 744000
Merkezi poçta
abonent 258, Krugozor
Parahatçylyk Korpusy, Türkmenistan
Kelsey Schuder
TÜRKMENISTAN

Suggestions for mailing
- This address will only be valid up to December 26, 2008, so please plan your deliveries accordingly (no later than the first week of December, considering delivery times).
- Airmail delivery of letters and packages can generally take a few weeks.
- Please be sure to seal all packages with strong, colorful packing tape (and lots of it!). Insuring the package may discourage tampering and pilfering.
-Peace Corps Lore has it that if the address is written in red ink it will also ward off tampering (this has yet to be scientifically proven).
-It is standard procedure to open all packages at the central receiving for the country.
-It is safer to send larger items in padded envelopes rather than in boxes.
-Number your letters so I can tell if I have received all mail or if there are letters missing.
-Be sure to write "Airmail" or "Par Avion" on letters and packages and I've been told that including "via Istanbul" also speeds up the process.

Other ways to stay in touch

Email address: kschuder02@gmail.comEmail is really unpredictable and I have been told I will have very limited access to it so letters are still the best form of communication.

My Blog! www.kelseykae.blogspot.com This is a blog that I've been keeping for the past few years and already I've documented trips to post-Katrina New Orleans, a trip to post-election violent ridden Kenya, and various thoughts on this trip and everyday life. It will be regularly updated (mostly by my family) and if you want o know in a general sense what I'm up to this would be a great way to do it!

No comments: