Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Monday, September 22, 2008

More Quotes from Books

I believe I wrote something about the Rukhnama (the book that the former president of Turkmenistan wrote) in a previous blog. In my opinion the book was written to tell the people of Turkmenistan what they should be. Saparmyrat Turkmenbashy, the former President, says his, "Basic aim in writing "Rukhnama" is to open the dwindling spirit of national pride by clearing it of grass and stones and letting it flow again. I hope to enliven the heart with the medication of Philosophy. It is like replanting the arid land of the past, which has become unproductive and useless, with the pine trees of the Turkmen plateaus. In this way I wish to rid us of the disease, trouble and anxiety of insensitility" (63).

A few more quotes from the book follow.

Turkmenbashy is talking about the 'Prophet Noah' and states that Noah established 'rules of good manners at home for TURK IMAN'. They are, "1. respect your elders 2. love your juniors ... 3. respect your father and mother ... 4. Wear clean and decent clothes. ... 5. Keep goods at your home that have been earned by your own labor and efforts. ... 6. The decoration of the home, its order, cleanliness and appearance should be very good. ... 7. Protect the home and its exterior and neighboring areas and the place you live in. ... 8. Spiritual sublimity ... 9. Women's make up 'Do not be mean with emerald stones for your daughters and wives. Find them wherever they are and give them to the woman. If one upsets his wife or daughter, he is not a TURK IMAN since they are very pleasant by nature, and their souls are pleasant too. Please them if you want to treat them well. Give them valuable pieces so that they may wear them on their breast, neck, and back.' " (11 - 13)

Thus far this is my absolute favorite quote from this book. I was very surprised to find that I actually enjoyed a part of it. I am reading this book more for a cultural link to Turkmens rather than as an exercise in reading.
"Everyone's soul is so sweet for him; everyone's destiny is blessed for him." (101). I love this quote because prior to this Turkmenbashy tells a story about a poor man talking to Allah near the end of his life and Allah uses various examples and experiences to show the man that his life was perfect and could not have been better if he had more money, had a different family, etc.

Last one for today talks about covering of women. "The 10th century historian Ibn-i Fadlan wrote about the Turkmen as follows: 'The Turkmen people do not cover the faces of their women and girls like their neighbors. Their women are free. However, they do not know what it is to be unchaste. Turkmen women throughout history have lived without the slightest stain to their honour' " (105).

No comments: