Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Squatting

It is becoming difficult for me to determine what might be interesting to you, the reader, versus what I find interesting (nuanced Turkmen grammar, cultural differences between various regions, etc.). I have been here for so long (over 23 months as I’m typing these words) that new and exciting things don’t happen to me as often as they used to.
So, I thought I’d take a note from someone who hasn’t been here quite as long. During our close of service conference we had a cultural Olympics, one of the events was squatting. Earl, our country director wasn’t terribly excited about this event because he concluded that you only squat when going to the bathroom and that because there is ample amount of diarrhea amongst volunteers this is a frequent occurrence. So, in order to set Earl right and as an entertaining activity for those of you who question the poor quality of my knees after I return I have written a list of some of the activities done while squatting. This is not an all-inclusive list.
-Going to the bathroom
-Washing laundry
-Doing the dishes
-Peeling potatoes
-Cutting vegetables (this can occur for hours if you are preparing for a party)
-Filling my water bottle from my filter
-Waiting in line
-During the speeches made at wedding celebrations
-Chatting with my host family
-Conversing with my co-workers
-Cleaning my bedroom
-Brushing my teeth
-Snacking
-Resting while waiting in line

No comments: