Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What is Peer Support?

As most of you know I did not get a Peer Support position, but I felt that because so many of you asked about it I should write up a little summary of what it is.
Actually, as I type this up all of the Peer Supporter’s are meeting in Ashgabat for their annual meeting that will be beginning in about 4 hours.
Peer Support is a system of current Peace Corps Volunteers that are spread evenly throughout the country. They have several main jobs responsibilities: they are confidential sounding posts, someone to go to if there are issues and problems, they are responsible for keeping in contact with volunteers around them to ensure everyone is emotionally healthy and to address any situations they encounter where volunteers are not emotionally healthy, they also serve as a greeting committee for incoming volunteers and are a great source of information for volunteers both before and after they join our Peace Corps community here in Turkmenistan.

No comments: