Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Flies

When I think of flies the first thought that comes to mind are the HUGE horseflies in northern MN that always used to find the one bit of skin outside the water during the summer and bite down hard. I do associate flies with the summer, but they never really bothered me (except horseflies of course). As the summer season starts I find myself exceedingly annoyed by flies.
A few weeks ago while a fellow volunteer was visiting and we were sitting in my room watching movies, or chatting I got so annoyed that I pulled out my mosquito net (one that many volunteers return unopened at their close of service) and rigged up a system so I could sleep under it (and continue watching movies with Jessie and not be so annoyed).
As I sit on our porch during lunch I find myself constantly moving my arms, toes and head to keep the flies from landing on me and hovering over my portion of food to protect it from the nastiness that define flies.
I am currently working on teaching a series of lessons to the kindergarteners about flies. We spent a week learning about the animals, then made small paper models of them, then put their small feet into some green paint (representing feces) and then each child took their fly and flew it to our lunch time meal (represented by a very nice drawing of food that I had created the day before), and finally we will be talking about the disease spreading capabilities of flies and expanding that to the constant issue of diarrhea during the Turkmen spring and summer.
Those of you who know me know that I do not advocate killing anything (no, I don’t even kill mosquitoes during the WI/MN summers) and I have felt no moral issues with the small trays of fly poison that my family has lying around our house and kitchen. My only concern is that I will end up ingesting some or, worse, Kervan will.
My biggest concern right now is that they will only continue to get worse. This is what I’ve been told and what I am dreading will happen.
Wish me the best in my battle with the flying insects.

No comments: