Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What is Health Committee?

While I did not get a peer support position (a thing I am realizing more and more was probably a good thing – isn’t it amazing how short sited we can become and how relying on God’s plan can save us much disappointment and negativity), I am currently applying for the Health Committee.
I also figured I should write up a short blurb on what the health committee is and what they do. There are two Peace Corps Programs in Turkmenistan – Community Health and TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language). Each of these programs has a committee of volunteers that meet with the staff on a quarterly basis. The purpose of the health committee is to, “act as a conduit for sharing resourcs and project ideas among health volunteers from different regions, preserve and promote the use of quality health resources developed through the history of Turkmenistan’s health program, collaborate and provide input to health program staff for PST (pre-service training) and other projects as needed and mutually agreed upon, and act as an intermediary for communicating between volunteers and Peace Corps staff on issues related to the health program”.
They work on project plan review, training design and priority setting, and reviewing, archiving and organizing PCV materials.
The more I thought about what my reasons for joining Peace Corps were and how I was fulfilling those goals (or in many cases not) I realize that the Health Committee is more in line with following through on my original goals in Peace Corps, briefly: to create and encourage sustainable changes in personal and community health in Turkmenistan.
The applications for health committee are due on July 15th, and I would guess they’ll decide on the new members 2 – 4 weeks after that date. It sounds like it will be very competitive, however I feel very strongly about my application.

No comments: