Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My 23rd Birthday - Turkmen Style!

In an effort to explain how Turkmen birthdays work and are similar/different to an American birthday I have decided to tell you about my 23rd birthday which I hope will be a blend between traditional Turkmen and American. I’ll write throughout the day and let you know how it is going.
It is 8:36 in the morning, I woke up to a phone call from my family in the states wishing me a Happy Brithday, then went to the tualet and banya (bathroom and shower room to brush my teeth), got a text from another volunteer wishing me a happy birthday and sat down for breakfast. Today it was a hardboiled egg, bread (not hot, but made yesterday so still semi-soft) with fresh butter made this morning, and of course çaý. I am now pulling everything I need together for work and will be departing shortly. On my way I plan to stop at the dukan (store) to see if they have tomatoes. I checked yesterday but was told they would have them today, we’ll see. You will see what the tomatoes are for later in this post.
6:25 pm: Work was nice and relaxing, I finished the lesson plan for my kindergarten trip tomorrow. Then I read a book on travel in Italy to prepare for the cruise my wonderful parents are taking me on in May.
At 11:45 someone came to pick me up for the lunch toý that my counterpart threw for me. It was an overall exciting toý on that lasted for 3 full hours and included at least 4 shots of vodka on my part and a lot of meaty meals. There were seven additional people there; 4 doctors, 2 nurses, and one of the women who cleans the clinic. I think we all enjoyed ourselves.
Immediately upon arriving back home I began to prepare my special birthday meal. Lasagna. I began by making the noodles (I’ve only done this once before and didn’t have a recipe either time). I included an egg, water, a little oil, salt and flour. Then I rolled out very thin dough and cut them into long slices and laid them out to dry. I proceeded to make the sauce (tomato paste, tomato mix my sister-in-law made, onions, garlic and Italian spices). Then I went to the garden to pick some spinach from the garden. As the sauce simmered away I proceeded to make a cake (crazy cake recipe) and as the cake baked I made the icing (powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and some water). When the cake came out of the oven I layered the pasta, sauce, spinach and this cheese I bought in Charjew called toureg – it is similar to ricotta. Then at 6:15, a full 3 hours after I started the lasagna went into the oven. It took me another 15 – 30 minutes to clean everything up and now I am simply waiting for it to be all done and ready to eat. I will pull it out at the same time that my family puts the palow out to eat. We will end the evening with a cake. I’ll let you know how the rest goes later tonight, right now I am going to watch some of The Office.
Dinner and dessert are both over and done with. The lasagna didn’t go over as well as I had hoped. I really enjoyed it but there is a lot leftover. I feel like I’ll be eating lasagna for the next week. The cake I made went over really well. My sister-in-law told me it was a really good cake (Turkmen will generally always say food is good because they don’t want to insult you so really good means she truly enjoyed it). Although, there is a lot of that left over as well. I think they were all worried I might not have enough to eat and because I made it for myself they were worried it would be bad if I didn’t have enough. However, I have ¾ of a very large pan of lasagna leftover and over half a cake. Overall it was a very nice day.

No comments: