Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Great Candy Scramble!

Before I tell you the story I have to tell you this is not an isolated event. It has happened several times since arriving at site, however, for storytelling purposes I will explain one of the occasions in which it happened.
Last night I went to a doglan günün toý (birthday party) for the husband of a woman who works at the kindergarten, she and her husband are also related to my host family in some way. After the meal was over (a two course Turkmen style toý with soup and palow – rice with meat and carrots and onions) everyone still at the house gathered in the room I was sitting in and had the birthday man try on most of the clothing items he got as gifts for all of the awed spectators. Then, naturally, everyone says, “Mädik bolsun” – congratulations on your gift! After he has tried on most of the clothing items a woman standing behind him begins to throw candy in the air, there is a great squeal from all of the women in the room and everyone begins to scramble to pick up as much candy as possible. I don’t, unless it happens to fall in my lap, because I’m not a big fan of Turkmen candy. The mysterious hidden woman throws handful after handful of candy onto the tablecloth in the middle of the room. Children are grabbing for the candy but the older women are the most ruthless, pushing children aside to get to the candy and squealing with delight when they have finally captured said candy.
The event sucked me back to my former years standing on the side of the road watching the parade go by. First, the large marching bands with huge drum sections that scared our poor puppy so she cowered beneath dad’s lawn chair, then the floats with people throwing candy. I specifically remember the joyful spirit of the whole event. ‘The Great Candy Scramble’ always brings back those memories and makes me smile, until I am scolded for not scrambling myself, at which point I grab a piece of candy nearest me, smile, and place it in my lap.

No comments: