Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Guychbirleshek, Lebap

I have been to my permanent site and am extrordinarily excited! I didn't have my computer with so I haven't had a chance to write a thoughtful, thorough post. I'm sure I'll get one up eventually, or if not I sent a very detailed letter to my parents who can fill in the blanks.

We took an overnight train from Ashgabat to Lebap where we paused in the Capitol, Turkmenibat. It was large but I didn't actually get to get out of the train. We then traveled another several hours until we arrived in Halach - the etrap center (kind of like counties in the states). I am 15 - 25 minutes northwest of Halach in a small oba (village) called Guychbirleshek. My family was really nice and they are rather wealthy and have a large house. One of the main reasons I know they are wealthy is because my father has a second wife. There is a six month old baby at home and I have a 17 year old brother and a gelneje (sister-in-law) living at home. The clinic I'm working at is small with four doctors and four nurses. We didn't see any patients the entire time I was there. But everyone was very nice! My bedroom is small but has a bed (that creaks when I breathe) and a wardrobe type thing as well as a tv and a stereo sound system. I don't know if those will still be there when I arrive in December for the rest of my service. Overall I am very excited and can't wait to leave for permanent site in December. I am really in the middle of nowhere with the closest volunteer being 30 minutes away by taxi, but it is very exciting and I am the first volunteer at this site. Therefore I was constantly stared at everywhere I went! My gelneje took me to two toy's (parties for a wedding) and everyone kept staring at me. This was particularily exciting when they told me I had to dance. Turkmen dancing (for women) is basically walking in a circle to a beat waving your hands in a circular motion. I'll teach anyone who is interested when I arrive back home. Men have a much more fun time dancing as they get their entire bodies to do these crazy body moves. The thing I am most excited about is that in Halach people are much more liberal and open. Men and women talk, they are friends and men help in the house and with children. My future family is truly a family unit that openly cares for one another. It is going to be a very good few years!

That's all for now and I can't wait to hear from you all via email and letters!

No comments: