Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Simpson Emergency Housing

So this evening I went to Simpson Methodist Church that houses a homeless shelter at night. I went with a friend of mine and her parents and their church members. We arrived at 6 or shortly thereafter and cooked dinner for the men (it is a men's homeless shelter). Dinner for the evening was chicken patties, beans, chips, pickles, and banannas plus lots and lots of desserts. We served about 80 men as well as the volunteers and ourselves. After we were done serving I grabbed some food and sat down to talk with some of the men. One of the men I was talking to was telling a story about getting out of the cities where he said drugs and other shit were rampant. So last year he went to Iowa to get away from it all. He managed to get a job and some housing as well as his truck with insurance on it. His brother got into some trouble with the police and at the same time this man got laid off from his job. He had lost the income and had to make a decision. He had to 1)give up his housing or 2)give up the insurance on his truck and probably not be able to get a job. He then moved back up here for reasons he didn't say and is now back into the shelter system. By the way his decision was to give up his housing. What would you do if you were in that position. It amazes me how quickly a person can be on top of the world and on the next slammed back to the pits. Another man I was talking to was very quiet at the beginning when I sat down, I figured he was simply shy. A third man and myself were talking about the wonders of superglue (he had just used it to fix his watch) and the shy man finally spoke and the two of us talked for 10 minutes about how duct tape and superglue could fix absolutly anything. He had used duct tape to fix a pair of shoes he had because he didn't want to throw them away. I need to find myself some tape to fix a pair of shoes I have! The thing that struck me yet again, this seems to happen every time I go out and do something about the things I am passionate about, I saw how real these men were. They're not just statistics and without this shelter they would be out on the streets where tonight it is supposed to get down to -10 F. Many of the men came back to get 3, 4 even 5 banannas because they haden't had fruit in such a long time. We need to find a way to stop this horror once and for all.

No comments: