Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Visiting Turkmenistan

Post by Mom
It was great to see Kelsey and spend time in her village. We did alot in a short time. Thanks to other volunteers we had very successful programs. The people are great. Our guide was very informative and very helpful. He made a great video for Kelsey and copies for us and Kelsey host family.
It was fun to put names with faces and places. If anyone would like to visit Turkmenistan let us know. There is alot to see ruins of Alexander the Great. Dinosaur prints, Mountains, Desert.
Kelsey will need help when she returns home. We were getting dinner one of our last nights in capital she wouldn't take the first Taxi they wanted about $3.00 it was to much we did get a taxi and only paid $1.50 maybe, for all 4 of us. Yes it was a short distance and we walked back to the hotel after dinner. We also went to the largest market in the world, it is even on the list of 100 places to see. She told vendors way to much in Turkmen and clicked her tongue. It will be interesting for her to have set prices.
We could understand some conversations without knowing the language. It was great to see that Kelsey's community accepts her and likes the things she is doing. I know she will miss them when she returns home. I hope some day she will be able to have some of them come and visit in the US.
I felt like I had been tranported back to my childhood with all the families having farms or at least gardens. My grandmother would butcher a chicken every Sunday for dinner, I grew up on fresh cows milk and made butter. I do know I still like fresh veggies right from the garden.

Life in T-stan less stress but having grown up on a farm I would not say simple. Gardens and animals take work.

No comments: