Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Monday, March 16, 2009

International Women's and Girl's Day

International Women and Girls Day is theoretically an international holiday to appreciate all of the things the women and girls do in all of our lives. It is on March 8th each and every year. In Turkmenistan the day involves giving presents to the girls and women in your life. I have received (as of March 4th) two silk flowers. I purchased a bunch of candy for the women and girls in my life here and have begun distributing it as I see fit.
One of the neatest things is that the President of the country takes part in this event. He has set aside enough money for each woman and each girl to get 40 new mannat ($13 – 14). This may not seem like a huge thing, but I could go back and forth between Charjew and home twice for that amount of money. Remember this is a 2+ hour drive each direction.
For my International Women and Girls Day I went to a toý at my counterpart’s house. It also coincided with her husband’s birthday. The toý was split into two halves, the first half was made up of about 6 young women with their very young children – all were under the age of 2. Then the second half was myself, my counterpart, my counterpart’s husband, my sister-in-law (my counterparts daughter), Kervan (my nephew), and an older woman who I believe is my counterpart’s mother. We ate and drank and ate and drank. It was a very nice small gathering which I really enjoyed.
Because the United States does not celebrate this holiday I ask each of you to do one thing when you read this – please let the women and girls in your life know how much you love and appreciate them and in our own way we will spread knowledge of this very important idea. Peace!

No comments: