Turkmenistan

Currently, this blog will be used for my thoughts, pictures, and excerpts from letters I send home from Turkmenistan. I will be in Turkmenistan from October 1, 2008 until December of 2010. You can send me letters and packages using the address to the right.
Many thanks to my family for posting updates to this blog as I will most likely have limited internet access over the next few years.

Friday, March 16, 2007

NEW ORLEANS SPRING BREAK!

Well today the first group of HU students headed down to the 'big easy'. At this point I don't believe that New Orleans can be described as either big or easy. The population that has returned is still from what I understand dismal and the work that still has to be done is incredibly difficult and a long process ahead. I am very excited to be going down again and to see what has changed in the past year.
Last night I got a phone call from a woman named Elnora. Some of you may recall stories I have told about this amazing and couragous woman. I sent her a letter a few weeks ago saying we were coming down again and I am looking forward to the opportunity to meet with her again, she truly is an inspiration and it will be wonderful to see how she has done living in New Orleans over the past year.
I am terribly excited about this trip and can't wait until the plane flight tomorrow. I am a little uneasy due to the fact that I am the only authority figure going down tomorrow and am responsible for getting all the rest of the students to NOLA safetly. Don't get me wrong, I love traveling but group travel can be slighly nerve wracking and problems tend to arise when there are large groups traveling together.
I hope the rest of my group members have arrived safetly (or will in a few hours time) and I can't wait to be down there myself. I'll be sure to update as soon as I get a chance and let you know what I'm thinking and how things are going!

No comments: